General Thoracic Surgeon
Location: Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston, MA
The Division of Thoracic Surgery at Brigham and Women’s Hospital is seeking motivated applicants for a position as a mid or senior level academic general thoracic surgeon. The individual selected must have demonstrated academic productivity in terms of focused area of research, publications in peer review journals and/or grant funding. An additional administrative role, such as associate chief for quality and outcome in the division may accompany the position’s responsibility. Eligible candidates must have completed a residency training program in Thoracic Surgery. A minimum of 6 years of experience beyond training in the practice of Thoracic Surgery is required. Credentials should include board certifications in Thoracic Surgery by the American Board of Thoracic Surgery. Candidate should be eligible for, and maintain, full medical licensure in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
Appointment as Assistant Professor or Associate Professor of Surgery at the Harvard Medical School will be commensurate with experience, training and teaching activities.
Essential Duties include but are not limited to:
- On-Call responsibilities
- Daily rounds when on clinical coverage which includes teaching of fellows and residents
- Attend and participate in M&M and QI conferences
- Develop and implement clinical pathways and practice guidelines
- Evaluate patient quality of care and identify opportunities for improvement
- Organize, direct and implement departmental practices to ensure compliance with applicable laws
- Promote a cooperative and collaborative working environment among clinical disciplines
- Direct and supervise research with both residents, fellows and faculty including initiating and securing funding
- Encourage and support research collaboration
- Medical degree from an accredited school
- Completion of residency training in thoracic surgery
- Permanent medical license in the US and ability to obtain one in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
- Expertise in general thoracic surgery
- Minimum of 6 years of experience in thoracic surgery
- Expertise in the design, execution, analysis and publication of clinical and or basic science research studies.
Interested candidates should submit curriculum vitae, letter of interest, and references to:
Gerard M. Doherty, MD, Chair, Department of Surgery
Brigham and Women’s Hospital
75 Francis Street
Boston, MA 02115
or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Harvard Medical School and Brigham and Women's Hospital are equal opportunity/affirmative action employers with strong institutional commitments to diversity in their faculty. Women and minority candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.