Location: Various – TBD
The American Association for the Surgery of Trauma (AAST) and the Society of Black Academic Surgeons (SBAS) is now accepting applications for a Visiting Professorship program.
The goal is to provide an active AAST and SBAS member who is a faculty member at the rank of Assistant or Associate Professor and is within 15 years of their faculty appointment with the opportunity to serve as a Visiting Professor for the Department of Surgery at a host institution. (Host site applications open soon.)
To promote the careers of early to mid-career AAST-SBAS members and recognize academic excellence.
The awardee must be an active member in good standing with AAST (Associate or Fellow) and SBAS and be an Assistant Professor or Associate Professor of Surgery within 15 years of their faculty appointment.
Requirements for application
- Letter of interest with summary of past participation and involvement in AAST and SBAS
- Curriculum vitae
- Letter of recommendation from their Department Chair
- Provide a one-page summary of area of expertise and examples of power point “grand rounds type” presentations previously delivered
Visiting Professor Responsibilities
- Coordinate with the host institution to determine the optimal time for the visit.
- Work with the host institution to plan the visit including travel and accommodation reservations.
- Submit an expense form with appropriate back-up receipts to the AAST-SBAS Visiting Professorship Committee within 30 days after the visit.
- Submit a report to the AAST-SBAS Visiting Professorship Committee summarizing the visit within 30 days of the visit that includes information about the experience, thoughts on the process, and the overall program.
- Attend the AAST and SBAS Annual Conferences during the year of the visit.
Host Site Responsibilities
- Sponsor the Visiting Professorship program and coordinate a schedule for the two-day visit.
- Coordinate with the Visiting Professor to plan travel and accommodation reservations as well as other details of arrangements for the visit.
- Provide comments (i.e. suggestions for improvements and/or recommendations) to AAST and SBAS within 30 days of hosting the AAST-SBAS Visiting Professor.
- Consider providing the Visiting Professor with an honorarium.
- Selection of the Visiting Professor within 6 weeks of the application deadline
- Annual Call for host site institution with subsequent selection of the host site
- Provide reimbursement for travel and accommodations up to $2000 ($1000 provided by AAST and $1000 provided by SBAS
The applicant must submit all of the above required materials in one PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org. Application deadline is May 25, 2022.